Friday, April 3, 2009

Keeping Score...The Simple Notion that Winning is Better.

Vince Lombardi once said, “Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser.” While his words may come off abrasive and uncouth, those of you with a sporting mind understand that losing is not a positive outcome when engaging in any sport. When losing becomes acceptable, one becomes a loser. I surmise that is human nature and for the most part, common sense.

Photobucket


That being said, I have never understood an existence devoid of sport. Win or lose, there are some that have no need for sports in their lives. No basketball, no football, no baseball, no boxing, no tennis, no golf, no MMA, no nothing. While I am sure it is a life full of other rewarding pastimes, I marvel at how one can traverse our global landscapes and not tune into or engage in one game, one inning, one match, one set, or one round and yet be happy. How is that possible? How can I relate to this person? The answer is simple…may times, I cannot.

Photobucket


The aspect of winning is foreign to some. In today’s watered down, politically correct, socio-economic environment, many believe playing the game has nothing to do with winning and everything to do with individual effort. While I applaud individual effort, I wonder why anyone would play a game to lose. For that matter, why would anyone do anything really well if there was no benefit for how you finished. Sadly, this philosophy is eking its way into our schools and the lives of our children at a phenomenal rate thus creating a generation of vulnerability and a population of mediocrity.


Photobucket


Maybe I’m just crazy because I want to win when I play a game or engage in some other life activity. I want my children to understand that their best is all I can expect but it better be their best and not some corner-cutting routine disguised as their best. Winning, my friends, does matter whether it is a game of cricket or an A plus on a paper. In the drive to win or succeed, individual effort is harnessed for the maximum achievement of what is possible. If victory is possible, desire victory. If mastery is possible, desire mastery. If an A plus is the highest grade possible, desire an A plus. All of these scenarios depict man’s quest of achievement. If we allow our politically correct society to tell our children that it is fine to be mediocre, they will be mediocre. Why are we constantly reminded that success is bad?


Photobucket


Like every other parent, I want my children to succeed. I also want to spare their feelings at times. The problem is, sports do not spare feelings and that is, I imagine, what some folks dislike about athletic pastimes. Failure is a necessary life lesson and one we must allow our children to learn. We cannot spare them from failure only to “foist” them into the real word and expect them to succeed. Failure builds character. Losing builds character. Hating losing teaches the simple lesson that winning is better. And when you want to win, individual effort is maximized, not minimized.

Photobucket


I have failed many times and I am certain I will fail many more. My successes, whatever they may be, are so much sweeter after a fall than they could ever be absent one. I cherish these achievements knowing that I picked myself up, dusted off a little dirt, and got back in the game. That is all I want for my kids. I want them to know success because they attempted great things and were able to fail. In the words of the great Sparky Anderson “Success isn't something that just happens, success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared.” In an environment that is continually taking the competition out of our lives faster than the fat out of our food, I for one, am keeping score. Just a thought!

“Everyone I meet is in some way my superior.” William Shakespeare

Photobucket

No comments: