Saturday, January 9, 2010

Y2K10; Global Warmers, New Year’s Resolutions, and Random Musings

When I was a child, I would look towards the year 2000 with awe. It was a milestone, a new millennium, a measuring stick among other things depending on your perspective or lot in life. Always gazing toward the future, I periodically reminded myself that I would be 24 years of age when the new millennium turned; an age hardly conceivable at the time. I even had a nifty countdown clock, one that ticked relentlessly, second by second towards the Y2K. What would happen after Y2K, after the countdown clock vaporized, all computers crashed, and life on our planet ceased to exist? That was the 64 thousand dollar question at the time, a question that played persistently over the media waves like a broken record, in order to stem rising societal fears and communal uncertainty, I surmise.

Photobucket

And then amidst systemic pomp and circumstance, Y2K arrived and we stood slack-jawed with faces agape wondering what, if anything, was different. How had we changed? Like the morning after your first day of high school, 18th birthday, wedding day, etc., something seemed different yet hard to put a finger on as we studied our proverbial reflections for evidence. With none found, much like other metaphysical milestones, Y2K ticked into the past, second by second, month by month, year by year until the dawning of a new decade; the decade beginning with 0-10, twenty-ten, 2010, Y2K10, or any other representation of the current year that pleases you when spoken aloud. It is indeed a new year and as my Y2K clock continues its absent ascent towards nothingness, here are six of my recent musings.

Photobucket

#1: I don’t buy the farce that is global warming, especially on days like today. Just take a look outside your window. What do you see? My position on global warming is not merely a political stance divided by partisan politics, it is a point of view generated by logic and common sense. The burden of proof lays with those who align themselves with the Al Gore and other global warming theorists as they attempt to justify an unjustifiable agenda; not those of us who scoff at notion of man-made climate change while the coldest temperatures in decades entomb the globe in snow and ice.

Photobucket

Their brilliance, however, was equating “green” products and businesses with global warming as if the two go hand in hand. On one hand, the common sense use of products considered environmentally friendly is a logical way of promoting a clean environment. I’m down with that. On the other, the acceptance of man-made global warming stemming from carbon emissions with no verifiable facts or figures is nothing but a politically correct logical fallacy meant to promote certain scientific organizations, scientists, and politicians. I say prove it “global warmers”…with “actual” data from ethical scientists geared more towards promoting a healthy earth and less towards padding pockets and obtaining governmental grants. Perhaps the record cold we are seeing this winter is also a by-product of global warming…according to the talking scientific heads, everything else is. How do you debate that?

Photobucket

#2: While we are on the topic of weather, isn’t it awesome how one degree Fahrenheit can change the nature of the landscape so massively? One simple degree can determine snow from rain, ice from water, turmoil from tranquility. This notion gives me a renewed appreciation for the oft used phrase (intelligent) “design is in the details,” which ultimately illustrates my posture on the old climate change debate anyway. Nothing, my friends, is left to mere chance. Nothing!

Photobucket

#3: While shopping at Macy’s over the Christmas holiday, I stumbled upon a rack of designer jeans. These weren’t just any old designer jeans; these were $300.00 a pop designer jeans, laid out like they were on sale. And they were ugly to boot…which got me thinking…while pushing a two-year-old in a stroller. They ought to name a store “Gaught Kyds?” for all of us who aspire to remain stylistically relevant yet spend all our money on our kids and their ridiculous fashions (I’m kind of thinking skinny jeans and sheep boots but feel free to lament any styling of your choice). Price points would not exceed $20.00. Anyone else in? Anyone got an extra C-note or two?

Photobucket

#4: What’s the deal with preemptive snow days? When we were kids, school was out only if snow was one the ground and more was falling. You can’t fault the schools, however, as they are in a lose-lose scenario with public perception and the media. Moreover, weather hysteria driven by the Mother Media essentially bothers me and ultimately begs the question; do you eat more bread and drink more milk when snow is on the ground? I didn’t think so.

Photobucket

#5: I read the other day that only 19% of people who make a New Year’s resolution actually keep it for two years. Here is exactly what I read:

“It is no secret that the odds against keeping a New Year's resolution are steep. Only about 19% of people who make them actually stick to their vows for two years, according to research led by John Norcross, a psychology professor at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.”

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704234304574625993885272978.html

The rest of the article discussed how to keep New Year’s resolutions using the aforementioned statistic in a negative sense. For me, however, I took it in a much more positive, glass half full, light. Since I’ve failed to keep my resolutions for the last ten years or so, I realized I’m more like the status quo than I thought and that made me feel good. That said, for all you regular card-carrying, gym membership holders; just wait a few months…all the newcomers will surely become a statistic by then. And for those of you who can’t wait…you have an open invitation to my garage…we have only one member thus far but look to expand two-fold by June. Advertising!

Photobucket

#6: During times of hardship, discomfort, or uncertainty, I employ the “two-month rule.”

Example: The weather outside my door is 8 degrees above zero as we speak. It is depressing to dwell on the oppressive cold weather. By employing the “two-month rule,” I essentially say, “In two months it will be the middle of March”…and that makes me feel much better. March also brings March Madness and that makes me feel even better still. Try it yourself; it can be applied to anything; two month your problem or mind set and your perspective will change immediately. Use this to help.
Photobucket

Musings aside, the arrival of Y2K10 brings renewed hope and perspectives on life, don’t you think? That said, I suppose we can once again close the book on those pesky, hard to figure “aught years” and pioneer a decade of tweeners and teens. It was an interesting decade, indeed, one that will certainly fill the pages of history books both far and wide with tales of hardship and triumph. For me, however, I take comfort in a once relevant count down clock gathering dust on its basement perch…ticking up proudly towards infinity and beyond…at least until the final battery fails. We should all be so industrious. Happy Y2K10. Just a thought!

Photobucket

No comments: